Remember last Thursday when we got all emotional about our last day of school? Well, this picture was taken right after our last class. Don’t we look like almost-graduating sinologists?
No, okay, you’re right, we don’t. Maybe if we’d wear glasses and elbow patches…
Nope, still not working. But who cares? We look cool! And kind of Chinese, since Jade is doing the peace thing.
Last week we also let our good friend Cécile braid our hair together, it’s like all kinds of chocolate or different milkshake flavors mixed together.
Darn now we’re hungry.
We had our first exam today! It was our most important Chinese exam, which mostly contains grammar and vocabulary exercises, and which basically is our theoretical exam. Tomorrow and Thursday we still have to do our practical Chinese exams. Then, two weeks later we have to do some other exams like Chinese literature, classical Chinese etc. It’s tough, but on the other hand, we have the summer ahead of us now. At least, we sure hope we do! We read in the newspaper today, that Western Europe is going to have the worst summer since 1816, that’s almost 200 years ago! Also, since our last summer kind of sucked (due to resit exams and working) we were really hoping to catch up on some summer… So please oh please let the weather be good, or we might just sink into a deep state of some kind of.. — wait let’s not think about the possible depressing consequences, let’s just hope it’ll be okay!!
Check out this picture from a while ago. See mister weather? That’s the kind of weather we like.
xx Tall and tiny
When we tell someone we study Chinese, their first reaction is either “wow that’s so cool” or “you’re going to be so rich”. First of all, the rich thing? Highly unlikely for the both of us, since we aren’t interested in the business world. And now for the ‘wow cool’ part. It starts off with “Say something in chinese!” and then we quickly say anything that comes to mind, no matter how silly it is and make them go “that’s awesome” which makes us feel all proud of ourselves. Then comes the next phase: “Can you say this?” “How do you say that?” It’s like they can’t believe we actually speak Chinese, so they have to test us all the time.
“How do you say uncle in Chinese?”
“Uhh… Let me think… It’s uh… No wait it’s… Eh..”
“Geesh, you can’t even say a simple word like uncle?”
And then -BAM- away goes all the credibility of us being able to speak Chinese. Why is it that we sometimes find it hard to translate the simplest of words? Because Chinese is a very complicated language. Don’t understand what we’re trying to say? Check out the video below, and find out how to say ‘uncle’ in Chinese yourself. Good luck!
We took these pictures a couple of days ago but forgot to post them. Lai-Yan braided Elvi’s hair and it looks amazing! It is just so perfect, the way it is braided with all the colors… And check out Jade’s little red riding hood coat, isn’t it awesome? It was super rainy that day, so she was very happy. Who doesn’t want a coat like this on a rainy day?
Also, we’ve been working very hard in the library the past couple of days, and while doing that, Lai-Yan can’t help herself. She had to braid! So when we leave the library afterwards, our hair always looks amazing, haha!
Another made-in-the-library braid :
And remember this updo? Also awesome… ^^
Have a lovely weekend, and wish us luck with studying for the finals!
Yesterday, after our last class, we took a picture of our class. So remaining in the -goodbye school- theme… Here they are!
So after our last “It’s over!” post, I started to remember some nice moments from the past three years. Because right now, I’ve had it with school, but nevertheless, there are also some great memories to cherish. Here is a list describing 28 things that made the past three years awesome for me:
1. Writing my first assignment in Chinese and feeling super duper proud of it
2. When doing the dishes with my boyfriend ended up like this
3. The time we drew ourselves as pirates, went to one of our teachers and used the drawings to tell a story to her
4. The time I went to the Stephen Hawking lecture in the park
5. When Skyrim was released and I played it for a couple days straight
6. When we took our school assignment about Christmas to another level by dressing up and playing Christmas music in class while doing our lecture.
7. When we had our first girls’ night
8. The first time I got to put a Christmas tree in my own apartment
9. The time Laura’s face did this
10. The time we did our nails and mine were pac-man themed (epic)
11. The time we took our first Tall and tiny photo
12. All those times we had class in the MSI building, and always sat together the way friends do
13. The time we had calligraphy class outside because the sun was shining
14. The time my hair did this
15. All the classes we’ve had with headphones, where you speak Chinese and then hear yourself talking really loud
16. That time we won all prizes at the sinology oscars, and the fact that we had such a good time shooting our movie
17. When I practiced my calligraphy on the floor with Malteke next to me
18. That time we went to an art gallery and dressed up all arty farty
19. When I went to the library to get books for my paper, and felt all smart because of it (and yes, when that crazy woman on the street yelled at me because of my dumb blondness, but let’s leave that part out, shall we?)
20. When I was really sick and my boyfriend took such good care of me, and I then fell asleep while watching Buffy (notice the books from the last picture lying on the sofa, clearly they were used effectively)
21. When my boyfriend and I got fast food and I did this
22. All the times I was studying with Malteke (Who also thought my courses were boring and regularly fell asleep on them)
23. The rare couple of times this happened
24. The fact that there was pie (mostly thanks to Lai-Yan)
25. The day we got all dressed up in fancy fashionista clothes and went to Antwerp Fashion Night for free goodies
26. The day I threw my not-yet-21-years-old party (which was awesome, thanks you guys!)
28. All of our rehearsals and gigs
To everyone who contributed to the awesomeness of these three years: thank you. Thanks mom and dad for paying for my apartment and school fees, thanks Elvi for being my awesome pal, thanks Derian for being the best boyfriend I could wish for, thanks Nele and Matthieu for always being there even though you’re far away, thanks to all my other friends and pets and teachers and so on, thank you!
Hi everyone! It’s about time we bring this up… IT’S OVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER Yup, you read it. Okay, let’s not get dramatic, but still, what do we mean by this? Well, today we had our last day of class. We study sinology and it takes 3 years to get your bachelor degree. Well, we are finishing our third year now, and after that everything is going to change. We still have to take on some courses next year, but different ones. Which means: we’re not taking classes together anymore. Also, Elvi is moving to Antwerp and Jade will mostly still be in Leuven, so we’re not even in the same city anymore!! Obviously, this could be quite fatal for our blog.. We could always take separate pictures and make separate posts, but that’s just not the same, is it? Anyway, we don’t know what’s going to happen yet, which is scary but also exciting. Change is good sometimes. =) But don’t worry, we’ll let you know when something major changes! It’s so weird that this was the last day of following class like this, with these teachers, these students… We’ll miss it but- nah who are we kidding we won’t miss it that much. It’s time for change! So, what we’d like to say is: Dear School, So long, SEE YA! Check out these polaroid pictures Jade took in class! School life… xx Tall and tiny This is the wibbly wobbly bridge from ‘I Like It’ by the way ^^ Subtitling class (on the worst, old-fashioned computers ever) Still not used to our teacher’s T-shirt… Dear lord… A while ago we couldn’t find a classroom and had class in the hallway, which was awesome!
We have some pictures which we have been wanting to share with you for quite a while now, but we just haven’t had the time to do so. So here is an extra long post, filled with pictures from the last couple of weeks!
The first series of pictures was taken this week. Check out Elvi’s amazing updo. All those colors… Woooow….
We went out together this tuesday, and on our way home we passed this sign. It says “Het fietsexamen” which stands for a test you can take, to prove you can ride a bicycle. No, you don’t need a driver’s license to be allowed to ride a bike here in Belgium, but if you doubt your bicycle skills, you can take this exam. And now comes the big shocker of the day: Jade is 21 years old and she doesn’t -repeat: doesn’t- know how to ride a bike. She just never learned it, and also she has no insight in traffic. It’s like walking with a monkey or a very small child, even as a pedestrian she hasn’t got a clue where she’s going. We’re all wondering how that’s gonna turn out when she starts driving a car…
This picture was taken yesterday. It’s blurry because it was taken very quickly, as it was raining like hell. Some people are setting up a fake circus right outside our school, with statues of elephants, tigers and bears, but we have no idea why. Well, whatever they’re doing, it looked cool and we had to take a picture with the elephant!
These pictures were taken more than a month ago, when the weather was actually nicer than it is now… Check out how the girl on Elvi’s shirt has the same hair as her, and check out Jade’s little clock!
Ah, the next part of our post is rather interesting– and disgusting!! Lai-Yan had gotten some free samples from Lush. Now, don’t get us wrong, we love lush. Their products are without a doubt a-ma-zing as well as super animal friendly! However this product was… not their best… And that was a euphemism. It were three little tablets, which smelled awful, and we were supposed to put them in our mouths and then they would start foaming or something and it would be like a natural toothpaste. Didn’t happen. No foam, no toothpaste. Just a wet tablet that tasted like poo inside your mouth. It was disgusting, and we actually felt quite sick after using it… BLEH! Check out Jade’s face after using it, priceless.
And last but not least, how ridiculously well do these roller skates match out outfits AND cupcakes? We would look so totally awesome…
Enjoy the weekend!