Since we’re being such goodie-goodies and we’re studying very hard for our exams right now, we don’t have time to take any pictures for our blog. But, fortunately we still have some pictures, which were too lazy to upload before, so now that laziness pays off (love it when that happens)! These pictures were taken at the Sinology Oscars. Every year the students who are in their second year of sinology have to make a Chinese movie. Afterwards the school organizes a kind of ‘Sinology Oscars’ where the movies are shown and everybody has to vote. There are ambassadors and people from the Chinese radio and everything. It’s really fun! Last year we won all the prizes, yay for us! You can check out our speech HERE and watch our movie HERE (or with Dutch subtitles HERE). If you want to watch the two of us cursing at each other in Chinese, skip to the scene which starts at 15:22. And we sing a song in the end, haha! If you don’t speak Chinese, nor Dutch, just watch the trailers below!
We had such a good time shooting that movie, if we’d have less homework we’d make another one! This year our dear Friend Laura and her friends had to make a movie and they also won a prize, yay for them!
Here are some pictures of us at this year’s oscars. As usual, Jade couldn’t help herself from dancing acting a little silly. Check out the pretty orchid in her hair though, it’s cute! We also had some group pictures taken. ^^
Last year, we also had a picture taken for our movie, check it out! (Photographer: Wim Knapen)
When we tell someone we study Chinese, their first reaction is either “wow that’s so cool” or “you’re going to be so rich”. First of all, the rich thing? Highly unlikely for the both of us, since we aren’t interested in the business world. And now for the ‘wow cool’ part. It starts off with “Say something in chinese!” and then we quickly say anything that comes to mind, no matter how silly it is and make them go “that’s awesome” which makes us feel all proud of ourselves. Then comes the next phase: “Can you say this?” “How do you say that?” It’s like they can’t believe we actually speak Chinese, so they have to test us all the time.
“How do you say uncle in Chinese?”
“Uhh… Let me think… It’s uh… No wait it’s… Eh..”
“Geesh, you can’t even say a simple word like uncle?”
And then -BAM- away goes all the credibility of us being able to speak Chinese. Why is it that we sometimes find it hard to translate the simplest of words? Because Chinese is a very complicated language. Don’t understand what we’re trying to say? Check out the video below, and find out how to say ‘uncle’ in Chinese yourself. Good luck!
We took these pictures a couple of days ago but forgot to post them. Lai-Yan braided Elvi’s hair and it looks amazing! It is just so perfect, the way it is braided with all the colors… And check out Jade’s little red riding hood coat, isn’t it awesome? It was super rainy that day, so she was very happy. Who doesn’t want a coat like this on a rainy day?
Also, we’ve been working very hard in the library the past couple of days, and while doing that, Lai-Yan can’t help herself. She had to braid! So when we leave the library afterwards, our hair always looks amazing, haha!
Another made-in-the-library braid :
And remember this updo? Also awesome… ^^
Have a lovely weekend, and wish us luck with studying for the finals!
Yesterday, after our last class, we took a picture of our class. So remaining in the -goodbye school- theme… Here they are!
So after our last “It’s over!” post, I started to remember some nice moments from the past three years. Because right now, I’ve had it with school, but nevertheless, there are also some great memories to cherish. Here is a list describing 28 things that made the past three years awesome for me:
1. Writing my first assignment in Chinese and feeling super duper proud of it
2. When doing the dishes with my boyfriend ended up like this
3. The time we drew ourselves as pirates, went to one of our teachers and used the drawings to tell a story to her
4. The time I went to the Stephen Hawking lecture in the park
5. When Skyrim was released and I played it for a couple days straight
6. When we took our school assignment about Christmas to another level by dressing up and playing Christmas music in class while doing our lecture.
7. When we had our first girls’ night
8. The first time I got to put a Christmas tree in my own apartment
9. The time Laura’s face did this
10. The time we did our nails and mine were pac-man themed (epic)
11. The time we took our first Tall and tiny photo
12. All those times we had class in the MSI building, and always sat together the way friends do
13. The time we had calligraphy class outside because the sun was shining
14. The time my hair did this
15. All the classes we’ve had with headphones, where you speak Chinese and then hear yourself talking really loud
16. That time we won all prizes at the sinology oscars, and the fact that we had such a good time shooting our movie
17. When I practiced my calligraphy on the floor with Malteke next to me
18. That time we went to an art gallery and dressed up all arty farty
19. When I went to the library to get books for my paper, and felt all smart because of it (and yes, when that crazy woman on the street yelled at me because of my dumb blondness, but let’s leave that part out, shall we?)
20. When I was really sick and my boyfriend took such good care of me, and I then fell asleep while watching Buffy (notice the books from the last picture lying on the sofa, clearly they were used effectively)
21. When my boyfriend and I got fast food and I did this
22. All the times I was studying with Malteke (Who also thought my courses were boring and regularly fell asleep on them)
23. The rare couple of times this happened
24. The fact that there was pie (mostly thanks to Lai-Yan)
25. The day we got all dressed up in fancy fashionista clothes and went to Antwerp Fashion Night for free goodies
26. The day I threw my not-yet-21-years-old party (which was awesome, thanks you guys!)
28. All of our rehearsals and gigs
To everyone who contributed to the awesomeness of these three years: thank you. Thanks mom and dad for paying for my apartment and school fees, thanks Elvi for being my awesome pal, thanks Derian for being the best boyfriend I could wish for, thanks Nele and Matthieu for always being there even though you’re far away, thanks to all my other friends and pets and teachers and so on, thank you!
Hi everyone! It’s about time we bring this up… IT’S OVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER Yup, you read it. Okay, let’s not get dramatic, but still, what do we mean by this? Well, today we had our last day of class. We study sinology and it takes 3 years to get your bachelor degree. Well, we are finishing our third year now, and after that everything is going to change. We still have to take on some courses next year, but different ones. Which means: we’re not taking classes together anymore. Also, Elvi is moving to Antwerp and Jade will mostly still be in Leuven, so we’re not even in the same city anymore!! Obviously, this could be quite fatal for our blog.. We could always take separate pictures and make separate posts, but that’s just not the same, is it? Anyway, we don’t know what’s going to happen yet, which is scary but also exciting. Change is good sometimes. =) But don’t worry, we’ll let you know when something major changes! It’s so weird that this was the last day of following class like this, with these teachers, these students… We’ll miss it but- nah who are we kidding we won’t miss it that much. It’s time for change! So, what we’d like to say is: Dear School, So long, SEE YA! Check out these polaroid pictures Jade took in class! School life… xx Tall and tiny This is the wibbly wobbly bridge from ‘I Like It’ by the way ^^ Subtitling class (on the worst, old-fashioned computers ever) Still not used to our teacher’s T-shirt… Dear lord… A while ago we couldn’t find a classroom and had class in the hallway, which was awesome!